On occasion, AdoptAClassroom.org’s vendors are unable to provide everything a teacher needs for their classroom. In these cases, AdoptAClassroom.org does allow for the use of funds for those items outside of our vendor network, provided the purchases meet the criteria and guidelines below.
- All purchases must be pre-approved prior to purchase. To request approval for an out-of-network purchase, complete this form and we will respond within 1-2 business days. Please wait for us to approve your request before making any purchases. Receipts sent without prior approval will be subject to delay and possible rejection.
- The item must be purchased by the teacher, school, or school district, with receipts clearly denoting a balance paid. PDF copies of itemized order receipts are acceptable; handwritten receipts without a business name are not. Unpaid invoices or quotes are likewise not accepted.
- The item must not be available in a similar form through our vendors—items must be qualitatively different from that which is available on our site (e.g. an office chair available through Amazon may be deemed too similar to a product available on AdoptAClassroom.org’s site from Staples).
- Any professional development, field trip, or unusual purchase (movie tickets, food, a trip to a climbing gym) must be accompanied by a letter signed by a school administrator on school letterhead explaining the purpose of the expense.
- All purchases outside the AdoptAClassroom.org Marketplace, are subject to a 5% administrative fee to cover costs associated with processing. The minimum fee charged will be $10. This fee will be deducted from the AdoptAClassroom.org account balance. If there is not enough account balance to cover the fee, it will instead be removed from the reimbursement check.
Who approves items for out of network reimbursement?
The AdoptAClassroom.org program team reviews and approvals all outside purchasing. Final payment approvals are made by an officer of the organization.
What do I do if I can’t afford to pay for the item out of pocket?
On rare occasions, a teacher or school is unable to pay for the out-of-network purchase upfront. We do have processes in place for this exceptional circumstance. Exceptions must be confirmed in writing. For more information, please contact us at [email protected] to start this purchasing process.
How long will it take to receive my check?
The typical wait time is 5-10 business days to receive a digital check. Requests for a physical check may take slightly longer to arrive at the provided address.
But the item is cheaper on Amazon. Why can’t I use my funds there?
AdoptAClassroom.org is a nonprofit organization and our operations depend on our working relationships with our specific vendors. It would be a violation of our contracts with those vendors to allow the use of those funds at a competing store. Because our vendors are frequently focused specifically on educational supplies and offer competitive pricing, we believe that we can offer the best overall value for both the teachers and donors whom we serve through our website