As a long-term vendor partner of AdoptAClassroom.org, Scholastic has provided children’s books to students across the nation. They recently updated how teachers can find their products on the AdoptAClassroom.org marketplace. We thought it was a great opportunity to check in about how Scholastic can help young readers with distance learning or in the classroom.
AdoptAClassroom.org: For those few new teachers out there, what is Scholastic? What types of products do you provide?
Scholastic: Scholastic is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books, connecting educators and families through accessibility, engagement, and expertise. We are a leading provider of literacy curriculum, professional services, and classroom magazines, and a producer of educational and popular children’s media. Scholastic is currently in 115,000 schools, reaching 3.8 million educators, 54 million students, and 78 million parents/caregivers domestically.
Scholastic provides teachers, families, and communities with the tools they need to support each and every child with print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, expert professional development, family and community engagement, and learning support. At its core, Scholastic has always been a company dedicated to helping children read. Beginning in the early 1960s, when Scholastic began to publish supplementary books and teaching texts, and up to the current explosion of technology and digital learning, the company has stood out as a true partner to teachers and administrators. Today, Scholastic is harnessing the power of adaptive technology with programs that are grounded in research to help students achieve significant growth in reading, and the Company serves as a solutions partner with school districts across the country.
AdoptAClassroom.org: Scholastic has been a vendor partner with AdoptAClassroom.org for a long time! Why is our partnership important to you?
Scholastic: At Scholastic, we take pride in our partnership with you. It inspires our work, pushes us to innovate, and keeps us focused on our shared mission—to ensure every child has the opportunity to succeed in school and in life. For 100 years we have supported your important work with the best instructional materials and authentic texts for literacy instruction. We have developed resources to support your continued professional learning journey. And to create literacy-rich environments in and out of school, we offer resources for family and community engagement. Supporting teachers and students through literacy instruction, classroom magazines, and digital programs.
AdoptAClassroom.org: Do you have any tips for teachers struggling with distance learning this year? Do you have any resources or products that help while teaching students from afar?
Scholastic: We are working harder than ever to support you during this back-to-school period that is so changed for everyone. As always, we are at your side as you work to support and inspire your students.
Ensure that your staff is prepared to effectively adapt teaching for traditional, remote, or hybrid learning with best-in-class experts who can support your goals.
Virtual and blended professional learning opportunities provide the flexibility and customization you need to meet the changing needs of your teachers, families, and students this school year.
AdoptAClassroom.org: Is there anything new at Scholastic you would like to highlight?
Scholastic: We are excited to share with you some of our newest programs to support your critical work:
- Guided Reading Short Reads Our World continues the tradition of Scholastic’s outstanding short reads with diverse and culturally relevant fiction and nonfiction texts that provide windows and mirrors for students, helping them to develop both a positive self-image and empathy for others.
- Two new professional books, The Next Step Forward in Word Study and Phonics from Jan Richardson and Michéle Dufresne, and The Next Step Forward in Running Records by Jan Richardson, Celeste Bates and Maryann McBride will help every teacher improve their guided reading instructional practice. Authored by Jan Richardson, Ph.D. and Ellen Lewis, M.Ed., Scholastic RISE provides targeted, short-term guided reading instruction in reading comprehension, word study and phonics, and guided writing to help students excel as readers and meet grade-level benchmarks.
- Leveled Bookroom 5 offers a complete whole school small-group solution combining authentic titles, research-based instruction, and step-by-step implementation support and strategies with the power of the one-of-a-kind Accelerator digital management system to differentiate instruction for all students.
- Scholastic Phonics Readers are a fun and engaging way for children to apply their developing phonics skills while reading short, playful stories independently.
- Authored by children’s author and educator Lester L. Laminack, The Ultimate Read-Aloud Collection provides guidelines, lessons, and resources for making every read-aloud experience intentional and instructional to engage students in deep thinking about fiction and nonfiction books.
- The Rising Voices Libraries were built to provide students with high-interest, culturally relevant texts that give context to experiences happening in the world around them.
- The Four Pillars Classroom Libraries™ were created to blend the four pillars of independent reading necessary to student achievement: social-emotional learning, student engagement, culturally relevant texts, and genre study.
For more information on how to use AdoptAClassroom.org for your school supply needs, reach out to our teacher support staff at [email protected].
Are you a PreK-12 teacher who needs more books or other supplies for your classroom? Register on AdoptAClassroom.org and create a classroom page here to start fundraising. We can help you stock your classroom with the learning tools you and your students need.